Sunday 8 June 2008

Thoughts on the race 2 weeks before

I have been letting my legs recover this week and have only run 20 miles. I wanted to run an extra 6 miler but didn't quite manage to fit it in the gaps between work and family life. My legs feel much the better for it mind you so I'll up the distance slightly next week then back down during the week immediately prior to the race. A slightly odd shaped taper, but one which should work hopefully. My main aim is to stay injury free.

I've been thinking about the race and the various sections, some of which I am looking forward to, others I am not. I visualise myself running along each section as a way of motivating myself and planning my performance. As you'll see I have still to convince myself of the merits of some sections! Here's my thoughts, I'd be pleased to hear from others about theirs.

Milngavie to Drymen

This doesn't feel like running on the West 'Highland' Way so I am a bit ambivalent about this stage. For some reason I like the short incline which takes you from the river to the forest trail near the start of Mugdock Park, and I like the road section as it marks nearing the end of this part of the race and a few nice but short climbs. Otherwise though the biggest challenge is not running too fast - which will be a challenge. I am aiming to run at 09:30 pace but I can easily see this sliding up to 09:00 if I am not discplined.

Drymen to Balmaha

Ah! Proper trail and the start of feeling like you are entering the Highlands. I love this section as you gently climb, meandering through the trees until finally you exit and are just be able to glimpse the bulk of Conic Hill, weather permitting! There's a little lovely moorland running with a few stones to watch out for then nice running down to the stream, over the bridge and on up Conic. The climb is stuttered with walking and running mixed in then a great descent down down down the slope into trees down further to be spat out into the car park at Balmaha. I will feel like I am now running the West Highland Way for certain, and can't wait to arrive in the car park.

Balmaha to Rowardennan

The stretch to midge hell is great. I love it. The views and sound of Loch Lomond on your right, some lovely twisting trail running with a few sharp inclines chucked in for good measure absorbs me completely. I don't like the few brief roadside bits much but the quality and variety in the trail running more than makes up for it. The longest climb, at the University field station (I spent a week here as an ecology undegraduate a while ago - great fun and fond memories), is good muscle working stuff. Arriving at Rowardennan with a marathon under your belt is a feeling of achievement until the midges figure out you are there, which doesn't take long. Aaaagh quick eat eat drink drink and you are off.

Rowardennan to Inversnaid

I used to find this section interminable, and very boring, with its long, winding incline which nevers seems to stop but the last few times I have run it I have grown to appreciate the growing sense of isolation and wilderness which develops as you run along it. There is a real sense of not being particularly near civilisation and the incline is not that steep or long that you can't plod up it. Then the final twisting trail section before the hotel is a wilder version of the trails I love before Rowardennan. I am looking forward to this part of the run.

Inversnaid to Bein Glas

In the Fling I found that this section was runnable in a fashion. I had to change my running style to more of a jumping to and fro, leaping gait but I made good time and the concentration required made the distance go past very quickly. Once off of the lochside I always find the final drag into Bein Glas takes longer than expected which downs my spirits but if you remember to look back (as Ian suggested to Marco in a training run) you are rewarded with spectacular views.

Being Glas to Auchtertyre

The section from hell. The run to Derrydarroch is a bit of a drag with the trail stretching out a bit monotonously in front of you and a road in sight, there is little feeling of wilderness for me and more a feeling of drudge. This will be a point where I will need to kick myself into running and not fall for walking too much. The legs will be tired and the trail uninspiring. The track past the farm is even worse. Fairly technical but unenjoyable running, lots of cow s**t to avoid and still no real wilderness feeling for me. The hills are bigger around you and there are nice views across to the Crianlarich peaks so there is something to take your mind off the boulders and s**t, but you can't look for too long or it'll be cow pat in the face. The forest section above Crianlarich is however a great ending to the section from hell. Challenging for sure and blomin sore on the knees but enjoyable. Apparently there will be baked potatoes served at Auchtertyre this year - not sure whether to partake and deviate from the race plan diet or avoid. Cheesy beans topping might go down a treat!

Auchtertyre to Bridge of Orchy

The bit before Tyndrum is easy going and should be an opportunity to plod along and let food from Auchtertyre digest. I have mixed feelings about the bit from Tyndrum to BoO. Last year I ran it 20 mins quicker than planned and felt good throughout but it is a bit of a drag. The hills are lovely but there is a road in sight and then there are the dreaded highland cattle to negotiate in a tired and sweaty state. The trail stretches out in front of you but just doesn't quite motivate me. It'll be head down and keep the legs going over this section I suspect.

Bridge of Orchy to Kingshouse

Ah, proper wilderness and the lovely sight the of Black Mount hills make this section very enjoyable. Then as you bridge the last rise the sight of the Buachaille Etive Mor is one of the most inspirational views you could hope for. I love the mountains of Glencoe and regard them with some reverence. I scrambled up Curved Ridge on the front of the Buachaille a few years back and will be tracing out the route mentally as I run down to the Blackrock Cottage. If I can run most of this section I will be very pleased. Last year my ham and calf began to seize up badly and I had to walk for much of it. With my physio treatment and tapering plans this year I am hoping to have no serious symptoms to speak of, beyond general muscular pummelling. I will be on for sub-22 if I reckon if I can run most of Rannoch so it is a critical test for me.

Kingshouse to Kinlochleven

I really really dislike the section between the Kingshouse and the start of the Devils Staircase. It is technical, your legs are knackered and it rather pointlessly climbs the hill a bit then drops back down. Why oh why can't it just contour? That would be much better. The climb up and over the Devil's Staircase is something to look forward to and then the descent from the penstock to Kinlochleven something to fear. Or at least it used to be, but various reports suggest the track is much improved and consequently I can expect less quad and calf pummelling.

Kinlochleven to Fort William

I have only run this section once, in training so have no experience of what it will be like after having run 81 miles - this is where the race will become a step into the unknown for me, and I have to say, I have some trepidation about it. I remember a long but OK climb up and out of Kinlochleven then a gradual climb along a very very bouldery track with the trail stretching out in front of you. The thought of running it ... well hmmm!

2 comments:

Subversive Runner said...

Hmmm Indeed.....the part into Lundavra has got to be the worst part of the race. Boulders everywhere and that never ending track.

But I'm more disturbed by your dislike of the Clash....NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Thomas said...

Brian, very inspiring read! Better mental preparation than speculating too much about hypothetical race pace I guess since you are picturing actual facts.

I think I will follow your example and exercise a pre race run myself.

I might be wrong but I think you do not have to worry about going too fast on the first section to Drymen. That was a lesson I learned from the night run. Running in the dark will slow you down automatically. Although if the pack pulls you away going 7 minute miles that might be a different story...