Sunday 13 December 2009

Looking forward to hills and snowy conditions

I got into running mainly through having a long history of various kinds of mountain activity from hiking to a little climbing here and there. So I am always keen to take advantage of our little family's annual trip to Scotland for Christmas.

I've two runs planned and I'm hoping a few folk will be able to join me:

22nd December - 18ish mile hilly trail run from Loch Venacher to Aberfoyle over Menteith Hills and back via National Cycle Route 7. Pint afterwards in the Lade Inn.

28th or 29th December - Ben Lawers group (Meall Greigh, Meall Garbh, An Stuc, Ben Lawers, Beinn Ghlas starting from Machuim Farm) - 19km with 1750m ascent. I've been pointed at either YakTrax or Kahoola running crampon devices and am planning to bring an ice axe up with me along with a pair of one or the other. Bring on the ice and snow! Tanking up a mountain ridge with ice axe and crampons will be great fun.

Other than that I'm feeling pretty good. Managed not to make a fool of myself at the running club Christmas do, through only consuming 5 pints of fizzy lager pop stuff. Then even went for an 18 mile run the next day and felt fine, no muscle soreness afterwards either. Not sure I'll be that limited this Friday though with the works night out. The lads at work can drink as much as I used to be able to do, and which I still think I can but plainly can't (as my wife seems to take great delight in informing me). Saturday might not see so sprightly a Brian.

2 comments:

Andy Cole said...

Yes it's true that as the years pass by one does find that the capacity before falling over decreases a bit, but look on the bright side - it's cheaper to get to the stage where the world looks better. Have a good Christmas up in your snowy hills Brian.

The Sunday Adventure Club said...

have a good Chrismtas Brian, i was hoping to come along on the 22nd but i don't think its going to happen now. Snap on the bevvy front, i'm also a black belt in wan can dan!