Wednesday 27 February 2008

Medical emergency!

Life happens and you've got to shelve the training to prioritise the important things i.e. family.

My wife took ill on Sunday night so I took her to A&E on Monday morning along with our baby daughter. Her folks live in Queensland and mine in Cumbernauld near Glasgow (yes, a slightly odd pairing) and boy do you really notice the fact that you are nowhere near family when a medical emergency occurs. You're on your own!

I took the day off work and turned into dad on the one hand / carer on the other. Bit odd turning to my daughter and making daft noises then turning to my wife the next second and comforting her through pain. A split personality required.

Anyhoo we're not entirely sure what it was (and I'm not going to divulge my wife's medical secrets on the web!) but she was assessed for surgery and luckily discharged with drugs and a sort of management plan. She's at home now recuperating and I'm juggling caring, work and training. Training has had to slip off the back end though as the lowest priority but I should manage a run tonight (easy) and another tomorrow (tempo) then I'll rest till the MK half marathon on Sunday.

Phewft, quite a tough few days all in all.

No comments: