Monday 18 May 2009

Back in action ta-daa

The Marlborough 33 miler was held on Saturday and, in a calculated risk, I decided to take part to get my first ultra race of the season under my belt and put my UTMB training back on track. The results aren't out yet so I'll wait till they are to post a race report. However I reckon I did it in about 5hrs 11mins - a good 15 mins slower than last year but I couldn't push my pace over rough ground in case I went over on my ankle. The whole race was a little odd in that respect. I had to let people pass me and not be bothered as I gingerly trotted downhills over bumpy agricultural land for fear of knackering my ankle. I finished strong though and had a great day out running across the North Wessex Downs. And best of all my ankle hasn't twinged at all so taking the risk has paid off.

Next will be to run the route of the Fling on 13th June at race pace(ish) to get the mileage up and to make up for missing the real Fling.

8 comments:

Thomas said...

Brian, it looks like you are back in the game. A bit slower but finishing strong is exactly what you need now. Just after your injury break there is no need for for PB's.

Thomas

ianbeattie1 said...

yes, good to see you back Brian. All the best Ian

Subversive Runner said...

Ha Haaaa! I was speaking about you yesterday to Mrs Mac. Wondered if you'd done the MD. Got phone out of my pocket to ring you and my change over of handsets has not transferred your number. Text me mate so I've got it.

Glad you're back dude.

Debs M-C said...

Super news. Glad to hear you're back on track. Good luck with your mock Fling. I'm the designation last runner in the Milngavie 10K that day :-)

"e Brutto" said...

Good going, 30 is my max to date.

Mysterion

Billy said...

Brian,

Good you've got a decent run under your belt. Re dodgy ankles, if you've not seen it, thought you might be interested in this post linked from Chris Upson's blog:
ankle rehab

Vicky said...

Excellent news.
It's always good to get the first race under your belt and come out unscathed on the other side.
Well done.

Anonymous said...

B, have you run the July MK half, it is billed as 'trail'.