Wednesday 24 June 2009

I've got Leki poles and I'm learning how to use them

I've got all my UTMB equipment in place except a fresh pair of sports pants (you probably don't want to know about my underwear preferences so I'll stop there). They include a pair of ultra light Leki Makalu carbon trekking / running poles as shown below (ooh gasp at their carbon construction and sleek appearance):


I've tried them out once, and despite feeling like a complete prat running repeatedly up and down a hill in rural Buckinghamshire I was very impressed. They cut 10 secs off a hill rep of 4:30 typical with the same effort. Well I never thought I.
Not sure I am using them correctly so any tips much appreciated - I have them at medium height (arms bent a right angles) and am using relatively short thrusts, about half as frequently as my footfalls.

3 comments:

Tim said...

Hi Brian,

Muriel and I used them for our WHW walk and I'm sure they helped.

It probably would have helped though if we'd watched some of the youtube videos on nordic walking before we set off.

There are heaps of videos on the theme. General gist is that for walking, you use a straight rather than bent arm technique. Not sure what the advice is for ascending hills but I found them great on long inclines.

"e Brutto" said...

Yo Brian

Leave em alone. They are only used by some of the slower runners on the Alpine Mountain Marathons I have run, there is normally a throw away at aid stations and reclaim at the end option. The best option seen to date was two 3-5 cm dia lengths of bamboo, he was no faster than me though.
Writing up the Slovenian odyssey now, which does not feature much running :¬(
How about a social medium paced hour or so and a beer, it would get you out of Bletchley.;¬).
There are some nice runs this way and few hills.
I won't say a word about your bald pate – doh.:¬))))

"e Brutto" said...

Yes, I was geared up, for a titanic struggle with the elements.
An excellent adventure snatched away from me.
A run and a pint then, email to your blog account.