Tuesday 24 November 2009

Run wheeze cough wheeze

Yes, it is the season for young children (can't really call Eilidh a baby anymore) to catch all manner of cold bugs and pass them with gay abandon to their parents. As a consequence I have been coughing and feeling woolly headed for almost 2 weeks now with the most persistent of chesty colds.

Without as much gay abandon I have opted to continue training in the windy wet of recent evenings. I have reduced my aerobic exertion levels, so no speed sessions, and think I feel the better for it. Never sure however if one should persist and train through colds or just sits down and rest. Cue exercise induced wheezey gasping and phlegmy coughing (mm nice).

It has got to be better than this approach to exercise though ...

4 comments:

Debs M-C said...

I got to sleep at 4am this morning, courtesy of a snotty-nosed 10-month-old. My intended lunchtime tempo run is looking less appealing by the minute. Especially as it's pouring outside!!

Brian Mc said...

I know what you mean!

Subversive Runner said...

The Benny Hill track that accompanies the video often plays in my head when I'm running, mate. As opposed to your goodself who mentally listens to the theme from Chariots of Fire, methinks.

Anonymous said...

Had what was probably swine flu courtesy of being locked up with the other criminals (unemployed) on my recent A4e course with constantly failing aircon - nice, no really ;¬)
60 minutes today in my five finger flows.
Thinking about the new London ultra in February - looks like a novel course and a first time run so I am going to do it and in five fingers.

As to your blog entry, I think we are designed to run so really any risk is slight for us ultras.
The inactivity is more likely to do for you, perhaps a golf club in the mouth from the Mrs if at home for too long
;¬0