Friday 30 May 2008

Exercising wot I 'ave done this week

I didn't do any exercise at all the week immediately after the Marlborough Challenge race as I reckon rest is an ideal way of recovery and staying injury free. Got to think of my poor bum you know. Excuses excuses I know. :-)

So I am trying a slightly tight for time recovery and peak this week. Last Sunday I ran a 6 mile trail run to get the legs working again. Monday I rested to make sure everything was fine. Tuesday I did a gym session, Wednesday I did a tempo run with an aim of staying at sub 7 min miles just to get some speed back in the legs. Thursday I saw my sports therapist who worked on my hams and glutes. My right hip flexor was quite tender and my right calf was too, but my right glute med, although still tender, is definitely better. I am hoping I can get it to the state it was in pre-Fling, when I could hardly notice it. And today (Friday) I did an exercise bike, rowing machine and stomach workout at the gym. Tomorrow I will do my last long run (can't decide whether to do 20 miles or 23 miles, will see how I feel) and that'll be my recovery and peak week. Then it'll be taper time.

Most folk seem to be in good form although Debs has picked up a foot injury (best wishes) and Tom has interminably tight hams (also best wishes). I've been discussing timings with JK by email - boy does he have his distances and timings down to a fine art. I'll hopefully not be too far behind him in the race! Dave Waterman is peaking late and still valiantly fighting the pirate cause - aaaar'll be looking forward to finally meeting him face to face on the 21st. He'll also be able to meet my mum, Satyavajri, who reads his blogs regularly to her great enjoyment and hilarity.

The stats for the week ...

Sunday
Route: Stockgrove Park perimeter loop
Distance: 5.99 miles
Terrain: trail
Ascent / descent: +463' / -473'
Time: 48:06
Splits: 8:02 (avg), 8:19, 8:05, 7:44, 7:53, 7:59, 8:03

Tuesday
Gym session
Bench press, single leg press, pull-ups, shoulder press, leg curl, calf raise, dips, seated rows, triceps push downs, hammer curls, stomach workout

Wednesday
Route: Furzton Lake tempo run
Distance: 5.99 miles
Terrain: footpath
Time: 43:13
Splits: 7:50 (warm up), 6:27, 6:54, 6:56, 6:59, 8:05 (cool down)

Friday
20 minutes hill course on exercise bike
2000m rowing machine
Stomach workout

1 comment:

John Kynaston said...

You have been tagged!

Go to my blog for details. I look forward to reading your answers!

John