Sunday 1 June 2008

Tag reply

John K 'tagged' me on his blog, so here I am replying. What does this mean?

Here are the rules and my reply is just below
  • Tagging is easy. Just copy the following onto your post.
  • The rules of the game are posted at the start of your blog post.
  • In this case, I'm asking you 5 questions about running.
  • Each player answers the 5 questions on their own blog.
  • At the end of your post you tag 5 other people and post their names.
  • Go to their blogs and leave a comment on their blogs telling them they've been tagged and to look at your blog for details.
  • When they've answered the questions on their own blog, they come back to yours to tell you. Got that?
Here goes.

1. How would you describe your running 10 years ago?

This is an easy one. I wasn't running ten years ago. I took up running in 2002 whilst I was working in arctic Sweden near the Ice Hotel at Jukkasjarvi, if you've heard of it. There are over 100km of cross country ski-trails around the town Kiruna I lived in and these provide great, straight out of the door trail running opportunities. A friend and colleague, Anders Lundgren introduced me to trail running, where speed was important to avoid the plagues of summer mosquitoes! Before then I did a lot of weight lifting and practiced Jeet Kune Do, a combination martial art involving a bit of boxing, a bit of Muay Thai, a bit of Wing-Chun, some jujitsu and some shoot wrestling. No regrets about not having taken up running earlier, but I am really looking forward to improving with time over the next 20, 30 odd years.

2. What is your best and worst run/race experience?

My best race experience was probably the Highland Fling this year. Although it was ultra number 8 I felt I had something to prove having bailed out the full WHWR. Coming in sub-10 was an amazing feeling, and I only hope I can keep it up for the full event this year. My worst race experience was probably the WHWR 2007. I ran very well till Kinghouse and then the problems with my right hamstring began to become insufferable and I became increasingly concerned about incurring more long term injury. I reached Kinlochleven in ~ 20 hours 40 mins but couldn't bend my right leg at all. My overloaded ham had torn my calf muscle and was no use at all. I decided bailing out was better than buggering my leg up for months. A tough call and one I still mull over. The next day when I woke up all I wanted to do was to turn the clock forward to 2008 so I could do something differently.

3. Why do you run?

I run because it provides me with an opportunity to completely focus. All mental clutter is removed and I feel no stress or concern about anything other than the stress and strain of the physical activity. I find running very meditative and running along trails and over hills particularly so. I also run as it provides a way of developing yourself that is pretty much 100% under your own control. Not many things in life are like that.

4. What is the best or worst piece of advice you've been given about running?

The best piece of advice I've been given regarding ultra running was from Mike Mason in 2006 when he recommended I buy a pair of Montrail Hardrocks. These are just the most fantastic ultra shoes and I haven't bought anything else since. I don't think anyone has ever given me poor advice. Some things don't work too well, but that doesn't count as bad.

5. Tell us something surprising about yourself that not many people would know.

My maternal grandmother is English, from Burnley, in Lancashire. This technically makes me 25% English. Shhh don't tell anyone och aye the noo ... :-)

So I'm tagging the following people .....

Davie Bell
Phil Robertson

The other bloggers I'd want to include have already been tagged so we may be coming to the end of the WHWR blogging group tagging!

2 comments:

allybea said...

Good answers. I like reading about runner's backgrounds and why they do what they do. I guess I'm just a nosey moo!

Phil Robertson said...

Right Brian,

I have answered the questions and I have tagged one WHWer and 4 very random bloggers!

I imagine they'll think it's spam and trash it - we'll see.

Thanks for tagging me!

Phil