Wednesday 3 February 2010

Training plans

This year is a world of difference from last year. I am actually mostly awake and cold free instead of being knackered, demotivated and sniffling. Aaah, little Eilidh is sleeping through the nights now and has a reasonably robust immune system. Hoorah. Also, like Ian Beattie, I am moving towards a booze-free mid-week with pretty good success (zero alcohol beer is a wonder - Becks Blue and Cobra Zero are the best I've tried). No booze, means fresh as a daisy in the morning. Well, almost.

Last year I didn't formulate a nice training spreadsheet, instead preferring to follow a roughly similar week on week but increasing intensity training plan from memory. It didn't work. It was too easy to drop sessions because I was knackered. This year I have a multi-coloured spreadsheet (yes geeky I know) and am following it to make sure I keep up the mileage and am progressing. My mileage isn't as long as others like JKs but I can't do anything about that due to work and family committments. I'll just have to make the quality and diversity of sessions count.

My basic weekly plan, periodised for increasing intensity and with every 4th week as an easy week, is:

Monday - speed intervals
Tuesday - hill reps or gym strength training (alternating weeks)
Wednesday - long slow run (18-20 miles)
Thursday - rest
Friday - medium trail run
Saturday - tempo run (sub 6:50 pace for 6 miles)
Sunday - rest or medium trail /road run

I am tying together my peak weeks with an ultra race to increase the distance so that I am ready for the 145 mile GUCR by the end of May. It'll be a killer mentally as the terrain will be very homogenous and essentially flat, so I need to read some material on psychological preparation. Andy Cole has posted on this subject lately but I'd appreciate any books that anyone can recommend. Thanks.

6 comments:

Debs M-C said...

If I stumble upon a book that helps you prepare for 145m of flat running, I'll let you know... :-)

How about some podcasts? Marco actually listens to podcast about Apple Macs. I know, WTF?

Happy training.

Thomas said...

Brian,
some people shake their heads when I tell them a about the Glasgow-Edinburgh canal run since it is monotonous.
Ok it is only 56(ish) miles so what about 145miles then?
Frankly I think it is a true ultra experience. Good luck with that!

Training wise I suggest to reduce hill work and run on even ground. In particular the long runs should be flat since uphill and downhill strengthens your quads and I think that is NOT what you want since it reduces the blood flow.

Andy Cole said...

Hi Brian, I always look upon uphills as the payment and downhills as the reward, so I just can't contemplate 145 miles on the flat. You'll probably need to develop a few silly walks just to use a different set of muscles!! But you know you're sound for 100 miles (WHW, UTMB, etc) and you cruised 45 in fine style a couple of weeks ago, so putting the two together should be no problem for you....

Brian Mc said...

Thanks guys. My long runs are flat, around MK until post GUCR. However, with the UTMB in view in August I am trying to strike a balance and make sure I maintain some decent hill climbing strength. Hopefully the two regimes don't clash too much!

John Kynaston said...

I like to see a man with a plan!

You know what they say, 'Fail to plan ... plan to fail' or something like that!

It will be interesting how you find training for the 145 miles of flat running and the UTMB.

I'll watch with interest!

John

Anonymous said...

An old Bhuddist standard is thinking about your imminent mortality if you lose concentration while trying to maintain 'mindfullness'.
Alternatively you could try Hypericum Perforatum to change your mood.
Makes you feel boss eyed if you are not depressed and taken in the recommended amounts.
No known side effects I take mini doses if I have a migraine aura as a preventative.
Take a full dose and after a few hours you will be smiling like a lunatic - probably appropriate.