Friday 26 February 2010

Misjudge and wheeze

You know the feeling you get when you think a cold is nearly over and exercise would kick it finally into the grave? I do too. But sometimes you don't get it right, like me last Thursday. Day 8 of a bad chest cold with lots of phlegm and wheezing and coughing and not much running. A 55 mile race on the horizon and no running. So I ran, thinking the cold would be kicked into submission. Not the case. My head was like an aftershock hangover on Friday and I ended up taking my asthma inhaler 15 odd times on Saturday my breathing was so bad.

Day 13 (this Tuesday) of same cold and I try again. The next day no ill effects, and in fact I feel better so I go out for a much craved for 18 miler in the rain at night. The next day (Thursday) no ill effects. Ha ha take that cold. I'll do a 35 miler this weekend by running to the train statin, getting the train to Northampton and running back to my house in Bletchley. This should get me somewhere back on track training wise after a frustrating 2 weeks off.

Oh well, time to listen to calm music (Kings of Convenience) ...

2 comments:

John Kynaston said...

Good to read you have shaken off the cold. Enjoy your run at the weekend.

John K

Andy Cole said...

It's frustrating - I had a cold that I thought was on the way out when I did the Thames Trot 3 weeks ago, the result was that it hit me hard again immediately afterwards and I ran about 6 miles in the next ten days. We need some better weather! Good luck with your weekend. Andy