Monday 1 March 2010

Pain in the back

Sunday morning. Kit all ready for 35 mile run from Northampton to my house in Bletchley. I am down on my knees changing a nappy before I go (wife getting a lie in as compensation for my buggering off to run all day) and I go to stand up. Aaaaarrrggh a sharp pain gives my upwards motion a rather geriatric appearance.

I shall now use a phrase frequently employed by the dear Debbie M-C. WTF? 2 weeks off from the worst chest cold I have ever had, 1 week of getting back to training and I now twang my back as I am getting ready to do a long run. Am I the unluckiest man in the world?

Well, I couldn't bend over for most of yesterday and my back is stiff today so I'll do some gentle exercise bike this evening at the gym then try running tomorrow. Gaah. The frustration.

JK appears to be almost as injury prone as me just now, although he has better reason than I, being genuinely geriatric. Cheap shot I know John, but I couldn't resist it. Sorry. :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find sleeping on my side or back for a day or two really does help to take the nip off what ever is pinching.
A perennial problem that only reoccurs when I very occasionally neglect my daily, for several:

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/473
held for 30 secs minimum
(you will have to work up to this obviously).
This pose done daily reputedly prevents most senile shrink (certainly the senile curvature part for men) so particularly useful for JK;¬)
Close up press ups also daily i.e.chest just off surface, wash right then left (karate kid;¬), walk forward (on hands) maintaining chest position, then back repeat 10 times.
This should also improve your speed and help maintain upper body muscle mass also good for your core.
Both of these exercises have numerous other positive effects, that you can explore online.
Fit for a run when you are.
Slightly.

Thomas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

and also...
you need to 'release' your back after doing back bends, so you can while laying supine draw up one leg at a time with bent knee, grasp outer surface of knee with opposing hand pull across other leg until knee touches the surface, repeat with other leg.
Turning your head in the opposing direction to the leg movement seems to aid the release.

Tim said...

Hi Brian, no advice, only sympathy. I've noticed in the past that my back has definitely been more "fragile" when I've been ill. I think the ligaments go a bit soft or something.

Anonymous said...

I'll pass comment on any ones life - brave mouth, that's me.
Pain is part of life, try your first cluster headache, then tell me you understand pain.
Some knowledge to reduce future pain from a know it all ;¬)
Slightly.

Brian Mc said...

Thanks for helpful comments. My back is still a little stiff, but I ran last night, felt good and no ill effects then or now.