Tuesday 16 March 2010

Hardmoors 55 or how to get lost on the north yorkshire moors

Well after a dismal February, the month of March has seen more running and more motivation. Hurrah and just as well as my 2nd ultra of the year, the Hardmoors 55 (actually now 54 as the course has been shrunk by 1 mile to avoid a mass roadkill of runners) is this weekend, the 20th March.

I did my 'train to Northampton then run back home' 32 mile canal run the other weekend in glorious sunshine, then at the weekend just past did a strange combination of 5 mile sub 7 tempo session early on Saturday morning followed by a 17 mile canal - trail - footpath run in the afternoon. A speed interval session last night left me panting away as I've missed out on these sessions for the past 3 or 4 weeks due to illness. Just 1 more session this week before the HM54 - a good old off road hill rep session on the local Col du Brickhill. Tres fantastique.

The race should be good fun although I'll be hoping not to get lost. I've never recce'd the course or been anywhere near it except once for a Scarborough holiday as a kid. The weather reports vary from light rain and 7C to cloudy and 5C feeling like 3C with windchill. Not tropical weather then.

I've heard that the course sweeper, Dave Waterman, has now been promoted (?) to checkpoint marshall. I'll be relying on his finely honed search and rescue skills should I become hopelessly lost. Picture a cockney speaking running boxing ex-forces fireman with a liking for red wine bounding out of the windswept moors, cans of super lager strapped to his back like a very alcoholic version of a St. Bernard to rescue runners hopelessly lost and in need of re-fuelling. Er, I can't wait.

4 comments:

Subversive Runner said...

The secret is that the course has been shortened to avoid the Fox and Hounds, mate!

My second checkpoint has now been relocated from 'opposite the pub' to 'a disused railway line.'

Damn that race director!

Lee Maclean said...

"I'll be relying on his finely honed search and rescue skills should I become hopelessly lost."

No no no Brian, this is the same guy who wanted to run upstream in a source to sea race.

Leave it to me and Mason ;-)

Anonymous said...

Up for a canal long run some time the 17 mile version preferred, et puis zut!
Soapy beer up there, its the water.

Thomas said...

Good luck Brian!
Looking forward to the racetales!