Tuesday 22 January 2008

Wendover Woods multi-terrain race

Distance: 5 miles
Terrain: mixed trail and road
Ascent: unknown but probably ~150m
Time: 00:35:21
Position: 23/295

Well here we go, first posting on my blog. Will blogging be cathartic? Will anyone read it? Let's find out ...

I ran the Wendover Woods 5 mile race for the 4th time on Sunday 20th as part of my racing plan for the next 6 months. The plan is to gradually build up the distance raced from 2 miles (2nd January - the excellent Greenmantle Dash fell race) to 5 miles through half-marathon (Mickleden Straddle fell race and Milton Keynes half) to beyond marathon (the first being the Wuthering Hike in mid-March).

The weather was a balmy 12C, much warmer than in previous years where the temperature has been just above zero. Climate change or annual vagary?

The race is essentially run on heavy clay mud tracks, some gravelly paths and a little bit of road. You start at the top of a forested hill and run down it, wiggling here and there following the track with a few stiff but short climbs. Once at the bottom of a forested bowl like feature the route goes along then back up the several hundred feet to the top along more track then hits a road for the last 1/2 mile or so.



I started off a few rows behind the fast lads at the front and gradually overtook folk until I found my place pace wise. Many people were wearing trail shoes like Salomons and were sliding all over the place on the wet clay mud. Anyone with fell shoes seemed to have no problem at all in terms of traction. On the way down I could hear some folk I'd overtaken catching me up but I kept them at bay and avoided being overtaken for the rest of the race. I gradually caught a runner from Aylesbury Vale on the last road section when I ramped it up to come in 23rd out of 295 with a time of 35:21 - about 50 seconds faster than last year. Great news - very pleased.

What worked and what do I need to improve?

I approached the race with a more determined attitude than I've been approaching races with for a good 6 months now and I think it paid dividends. I deliberately attacked hills and sought to overtake people without overstretching myself too early on. So much of performance is influenced by how gee'd up, positive and determined you are pre- and mid-race and I have a tendency not to push hard enough throughout a race. I must work on this aspect.

I think I picked up a slight knee tendon sprain on the 25 mile West Highland Way Race training run organised by John Kynaston just before Christmas. It hasn't really bothered me yet but is niggling away and was noticeable during the race. Will make sure I ice it every night and see my physio this week. Suspect it's just a little bit of ITBS so should clear up without too much bother.

More info on the race here http://www.justracinguk.com/

No comments: