Friday 25 January 2008

Shin over-use

Did a 6.5 mile easy pace mid-week run on Wednesday evening then saw my physio yesterday (Thursday) about my niggling knee pain. I see him every 2-3 weeks and find this necessary to prevent injuries and solve my various niggles throughout the year. He cuts a good deal price wise for University staff so he is affordable, and very good.

Anyway, he diagnosed my knee as being a consequence of shin muscle over-use and, correct as ever, when he massaged my right shin it was bloomin' sore. The muscle is tight and as a consequence has been exerting more load on the insert point tendons on the lower outside of the knee. He reckons it will resolve after a few treatments with no particular need to stop training - good news.

If anyone needs a really good sports therapist and lives in the Bedford / Milton Keynes area look up Simon Gaywood. He's also a national level competitive road cyclist.

No comments: