Thursday 30 July 2009

Rather rubbish run

Sometimes the world conspires against you when you try to train. It was rainy yesterday as I headed out for a 7 mile hilly trail run. Not a problem. However it all went downhill from there.

It took so long to get my Garmin linked to satellites I was about to head off without the damned device (after all its the run that matters) when it decided to play ball. OK I thought and headed off strong. It lost signal twice and on the second time it took about half a mile to regain signal by which time there was little point recording the run.

Then my shoes began to progressively loosen as a I ran up one of the bigger hills on the route. Odd I thought they are becoming very loose. I am used to Salomons loosening a bit on the uphill as they have a fancy tightening system that doesn't work 100% (much better with normal laces I reckon than gimmicky tighteners) but this was getting ridiculous. I stopped at the top, shoe almost flapping to see the supposedly unbreakable lace had snapped. Aagh, no way to tighten the shoe (another feature of gimmicky tightening devices) so I had to walk back to the car.

The rain then decided to turn monsoonal. I sighed slightly and tramped on like a drowned rat, shoe flapping from one foot.

4 comments:

Debs M-C said...

I always joke that my feet don't work without my Garmin. But my feet definitely don't work without laces. Nightmare!

graeme reid said...

I had the same problem with a pair of Salamons half way round a 30 miler. Took me 20 minutes to try and rethread them to let me get home!

"e Brutto" said...

Yeah, rubbish lacing system, nice concept just not thought through.
I still have a pair with plenty of wear left in them. They developed an appauling squeak which got worse with wear! Loud enough to be heard when running in a stiff wind :¬(
I think the interface between the give in the shoe and the carbon fibre lacing is poorly designed causing squeaking and overloading failures.
Any offers going cheap.
Still there is no excuse for bad luck - fool;¬)

The Sunday Adventure Club said...

hope the UTMB training's all going well Brian, those laces are a faff! I destroyed a pair on last years High Peak Marathon, they're not made for the rough n tumble of uk running!