Wednesday 26 November 2008

Admonished

Still off running (boo) so not much to report really. I am using an exercise bike and rowing machine, and doing some weights at my University gym instead. The exercise bike is essentially a proper road bike with correct positioning so I get a good work out on it - quad burn after a minute or two to be honest!

My right ankle is much better though and I am hoping, subject to what my physio says this Thursday, to be able to do a couple of short 3 mile runs this weekend to get back into shape.

He admonished me though when I saw him for the first time last week, about 2.5 weeks post-injury. My ankle was still looking fattish but the bruising had mostly disappeared. I told him what had happened and what the hospital doc's advice was (don't run for 4 weeks) and I could see the steam coming out of his ears. 'b****y doctors and their injury recovery advice' you could see him thinking. I then told him when the injury had happened and he gave me a bit of stern ticking off.

He reckons there would have been about 4-5 days acute that he'd not want to touch the torn ligament, but straight after that he advised treatment is essential to ensure the swelling goes down and doesn't become a more permanent fat ankle, and to ensure smooth, flexible healing of the ligament. He then spent 20 minutes friction massaging my swollen ankle, right at the sorest point. AAAAAAGGGGHHHH is all I can say without descending into the kind of language that would get my blog deleted. I shan't be leaving injuries that long in the future. :-)

3 comments:

Subversive Runner said...

Go on mate....have a good go at getting the blog deleted....

Brian Mc said...

Are you being subversive? :-)

ianbeattie1 said...

Don't get me started on your average GP's knowledge about running injuries - I have wasted so much of my life trying to get my former GP to refer me to a private physio and had to put up with comments like "leave it a few weeks then come back if it is still sore". Aaaaaaagh