Thursday 13 November 2008

Lakeland 100 or UTMB, that is the question?

Tomorrow is a day at home for some father and daughter time. I take 1 day off every 4 weeks to spend time with Eilidh and thoroughly enjoy myself. I was a bit nervous at first thinking what the heck will I do with her and worrying about the imminency of a crying onslaught but actually it's not that bad once you figure out her eating and sleeping cycles etc. Think we might go to a music group then p'raps for a walk around a lake in Milton Keynes with her in her macpac childcarrier backpack. She'll be 1 year old in a few days time, almost exactly 34 years younger than her Dad (me in case you are wondering) - I was 35 on the 12th. Hoorah for me.

Not much to report training wise as I'm still recovering from my ankle injury - the swelling is almost gone but still present in front of my ankle bone and the bruising is now easing off, having travelled all the way to my toes. I'll probably take a 3rd week off of running (next week) but ramp up the exercise bike and rowing training to compensate. I did 2 sessions of this at the University gym this week just to ease my ankle in and not to aggravate it. No problems to report.

Got my copy of the Fellrunner (the FRA mag) through the post and was pleased to see quite a few ultra type challenge articles - lots on the various fell running rounds which I have on my radar to do at some point. I'll definitely do a 2 day Bobby Gee next year for training and might up to a full sub 24 hour one.

Congratulations to family member Mike Mason for getting his name in print in the magazine in the roll call of honour of UK finishers on the 2008 UTMB, alongside Jez Bragg and Richie C. Have you seen the mag Mike? Congratulations also to Lucy C for her CCC performance.

There was an article in the magazine about the Lakeland 100, a 100 mile w/ 24,000 feet of ascent trail ultra around the Lake District at the end of July. We are planning a visit to Oz to see my wife's folks in July when I could easily taper for this event rather than entering the UTMB. Doing both would be too much. I am tempted to enter the Lakeland as the logistics will be easier, the cost less (important with planned Oz trip) and the event should count towards the 2009 Vasque ultra series. But then again it ain't the UTMB. Any advice to help me decide would be much appreciated.

3 comments:

Project White said...

Hope your ankle improves - I slightly went over on mine at the weekend and it hurts a bit too.

As for Lakeland or UTMB, not sure if there are any limitations on Lakeland 100 but, if not and money aside, I would try UTMB then if I didn't get in enter UTLD. I've not started or entered either previously however and don't intend to just yet..

John

Brian Mc said...

The temptation of the UTMB will almost certainly be too much ... :-)

The Sunday Adventure Club said...

I think they're both "must do" events Brian. I'm hoping to do the Lakeland 50 next year. Also, if you do lakeland 100 you get an extra 100 points in the Vasque series (for being a hard B*****d!)