Saturday 12 April 2008

Bit of a mixed week really

First of all, good luck to all WHWR runners and Shenley Striders club members running the Flora London Marathon tomorrow. Have a great run one and all! I'll unfortunately be tied up with work and looking after baby daughter so won't make it down to cheer you on. I'll be thinking of you and if I can, I'll watch the telly a bit.

I bought some new shoes. The soles of old ones were beginning to concertina and when I showed them to Debs and Marco at the Wuthering Hike they asked the question 'what were they?' - a good hint to get some new ones. Have bought exactly the same brand and model. You can't beat 'em for long trail running - Montrail Hardrocks - named after the legendary ultra footrace in the States whose motto is 'wild and tough' - http://www.hardrock100.com/ - I'd love to run it someday but I ain't good enough yet.

Here are some photos of my lovely non-orange shoes:



Also bought some Montane Sonic shorts (yes Marco, these are the shorts for you) which I am keen to try out this weekend - they are supposed to be very good for ultra running and all Montane equipment I've tried is superb. It is good to buy British as well - I am a supporter of moderate economic localisation - there are so many hidden external social and environmental costs to globalisation which aren't taken into account.

Only a few weeks to go to the biggest (longest) race of the year so far - the Highland Fling, covering the first 53 miles of the West Highland Way. The main aim in running it for me is to run a 53 mile distance as part of my WHWR08 training, but it'll be good to see how fast I can do the distance in. And yes, where I place. There's been a thread discussion on the role of competition in ultra events on the WHWR forum and my view is that the main competition is between each competitor and their distance or time goal, but that a little friendly rivalry can help sustain performance when spirits are down or the legs are particularly sore. When you see someone you know a few hundred metres in front it helps you up the pace to catch them.

So this week was meant to be a highish volume week of running after spending last week recovering from my 2 March races. The week started well with a Monday night 4 minute effort session. I even ran one of my 4 minute efforts at sub 6 minute/mile pace without it feeling too uncomfortable. I am definitely getting faster. Slowly, but it is happening.

I then put into practice my British Summer Time working and training plan. I get up earlier and arrive in work for around 07:00 or 07:15 then work through to 16:00 when I then hit the local woods for some hilly trail running. The benefit to doing this is that I get to spend the evening withy my wife rather than heading out training after putting baby Eilidh to bed then struggling to fit eating and relaxing in along with getting to bed at a decent time. It's all about balance as Mayas Lukas sagely advised on the WHWR forum.

On Wednesday I got up and did my usual morning stretches but DOH, I went far to violently into a calf stretch and it didn't feel so good. It stiffened up during the day but I was so keen to continue with my training I ran an easy 6 miler with the club that evening. Mistake. Thursday found my calf even stiffer and no improvement by Friday. I have self-massaged to loosen the obvious tight spot and iced it and luckily it seems better today. I'm off to see a physio today (not my normal one, he is racing in the US) so hopefully she'l be able to work it out and I can still fit in a long, 25 mile run tomorrow.


Map of Monday run - the beauties of Milton Keynes Centre

The stats for my various runs this week:

Monday - 4 minute effort speed session with 2 minute recoveries
Route: City Centre loop
Distance: 6.73 miles
Ascent / descent: +180' / -167'
Time: 00:57:00
Fast split paces (I mucked up the lapping at the start so these will be a little odd): 6:27, 6:36, 7:06, 6:20, 5:52

Tuesday - 7 mile trail run
Route: Aspley Heath 7 mile loop
Distance: 6.99 miles
Ascent / descent: +651' / -615'
Time: 00:59:30
Splits: 7:51, 8:46, 8:31, 8:20, 8:58, 8:54, 8:06

Wednesday - 6 mile multi-terrain run (trail and footpath)
Route: West Bucks Way loop
Distance: 5:74 miles
Ascent / descent: +107' / -111'
Time: 00:54:07
Splits: 8:51, 9:37, 9:32, 9:02, 9:39, 7:25

2 comments:

Subversive Runner said...

lBrian....they look like dancing shoes!!! I've got some Montrail Hardrocks in blue and they're bad enough but yours look like you're gonna be appearing in 'Come Dancing'!!!!

Brian Mc said...

I might well be ... ;-)