Thursday 3 April 2008

The subversion of the subversive runner and some recovery training

Well it has happened just as predicted. Subversive runner Dave Waterman has been subverted and is now a full blown, middle of the night, typing in the dark, self-obssessed blogger. I warned him it would happen and that he would start to accumulate means of showing his popularity to other bloggers such as the counter and the hit map. These are displayed in full glory on his blog which does appear to be quite popular (dammit must repeatedly visit my own just to get a higher count than him ... mutter mutter) but his tales of guinness ridden derring-do have become less frequent. All he can think of is the blog and the hit map ... subverted ;-)

Anyhoo, I've got through March, which I was a little nervous about injury-wise due to my having scheduled two reasonably big races - Wuthering and Exe to Axe. Other than a slight achilles twinge I've raced well and have no injuries to speak of which is most gratifying. I'll now up the training in prep for the Highland Fling. Don't know what other folk are aiming for or think is reasonable but sub 9 hours seems pretty do-able based on the 2007 results and my WHWR timings (NOTE - Thomas has correctly pointed out in the comments that this would have put me in top 5 for '07 - don't think I'm a top 5 high flyer but I reckon, after some spreadsheet calculation, that sub-10 is definitely achievable at 10 - 12 min/mile pace following my WHWR07 break schedule and I'll have a crack at sub-9).

Been reading other folks blogs about the group that has largely been organised by John Kynaston and has run various ultra distance training runs along the WHW. To have a group of folk happy to get up at daft times and run very long distances is a rare thing so the initiative is great. Ultra running is a little solitary, but partly purposefully so - it is a way of getting some head space. However, I'd happily join in a group of ultra runners were they based locally. Admittedly I think the WHWR group ought to branch out from running along the WHW (there's so much else to run along and up and over in Scotland!) but the group spirit must be such a boost to training. Perhaps it might evolve into an informal ultra running club with no fixed location? That would be fun, and something unique.

But back to the training. What have I been up to this week? I've been recovering. Other folk seem to like to run as a means of recovering from long or punishing runs. I have a different strategy and prefer to rest completely for 1 day then do some non-running exercise for 1 day then get back to running.

I rested on Monday after the Exe to Axe, then did some cycling and rowing in the gym on Tuesday then a run on Wednesday night and tonight (Thursday). I felt fine in terms of aches and pains and my post-race stiffness has completed disappeared. Been eating a lot more this week though and my legs have felt a bit heavy whilst running, but not overly so.

The stats ...

Tuesday - Gym session
Cycling: 9 miles
Rowing: 1 mile
Running: 2 miles
Stomach and back workout



Wednesday - Easy run with some short (2 block length) efforts
Route: MK centre loop (north side)
Terrain: path
Distance: 6.98 miles
Time: 01:05:19
Ascent / descent: +184' / -167'
Splits: 8:58, 8:51, 8:10, 10:08, 9:34, 9:54, 9:41



Thursday - Moderate pace trail run
Route: Stockgrove country park perimeter loop
Terrain: forest trail
Distance: 5.98 miles
Time: 00:46:23
Ascent / descent: +446' / -447'
Splits: 8:01, 7:56, 7:13, 7:44, 7:45, 7:42

2 comments:

Thomas said...

Brian, sub 9 hours for the Fling sounds like you are planning a quick effort. Last year that would have been a top 5 position. Not this year though.
I think there will be quite some folk runnning sub 10 hours pace. Surely the field will be the strongest ever.

Couple of questions: Are you planning to start from the front? When do you want to be in Balmaha?

Anyway, see you in Milngavie!

Brian Mc said...

Hi Thomas - whoops! My mistake. I wasn't looking at the end times on the 2007 results. Would be surprised if I was a top 5 finisher but sub 9 is hopefully within grasp.

Having done a bit of spreadsheet calculation I reckon it should be possible to run to Drymen at 10 min / mile pace, then to Inversnaid at 11 min /mile pace, then 12 min / miles from there and manage sub 9 with some breaks. It'll require consistent performance and tight management of break times but I'll give it a bash. At the least I'll aim for sub-10.

I've run 40 miles with 4000' ascent in 7hrs 15 mins before (High Pak 40 Race).