Sunday 27 April 2008

Highland Fling quick post

In short, yesterday was a great race. Yes, the weather was a bit poor to begin with but the clouds parted as we made our way up the banks of Loch Lomond to give us glorious sunshine and spectacular views of the Crianlarich and Tyndrum hills all throughout the last 20 odd miles.

How did I do? Not bad.

Distance: 53 miles (you probably knew this bit)
Time: 09:56:48
Position: 18/137 starters

Yes, I made it. Sub-10 hours - woohooo! I had a wee notion that this might be possible before the race but at an absolute stretch. And yes, I feel absolutely stretched today, or rather very very tight and stiff. Stairs aren't the easiest things to navigate just now.

I'll post a full race report tomorrow but in summary the run was good, actually very good. I felt strong throughout in no short measure due to the company of Craig Liddle (I ran with him for over half the race) and Davie Bell (I ran with him for about a third of the race). Banter and chat with you guys really helped the miles go past and feet to keep on going. Seriously, many thanks.

I eventually met Tim Downie (carrying a suspiciously small load for self sufficiency - must be on an air only diet), Davie Bell, Thomas Loenhdorf (or shall we call him lighting foot?) and his wife Silke (officially the first German our daughter has ever met - seemed to go down well). It was great to run with John K and Ian B for parts of the race, they are both very good company and a clearly think a lot about training and racing so a good source of tips. I even met Ally Bea so the world of blogging suddenly became populatd with real folk. Even the er legendary Mark Hamilton (DQ), or he of the single buttock, was at the finish line recording times. What a great community.

John K came in well under sub 10 and lightning foot Thomas came in nearer 09:30. Fantastic runs - I wonder who won the guess the time competition? Must check.

Anyhoo, more tomorrow with some phoaties. I'm off to eat a lot.

2 comments:

Subversive Runner said...

Excellent performance, mate. Well done.

Dave

Thomas said...

Brian, it was a great pleasure meeting you in person. Fantastic performance. Looking forward to your full report :-)

Thomas