Wednesday 30 April 2008

Rules of running

Mike Mason, a West Highland Way Race regular, and the first ultra runner to help me with advice on gear and racing sent me this link on the 'rules of running':

http://www.pinebeltpacers.org/Rules.htm

There are 53 commandments so we are clearly in need of tighter regulation than the human race in general (only 10 for them). From this list I reckon the runners commandments which ring particularly true for me are:

4. During group training runs, don’t let anyone run alone.
10. All runners are equal, some are just faster than others.
25. There are no shortcuts to running excellence.
31. Look at hills as opportunities to pass people.
46. Unless you make your living as a runner, don’t take running too seriously.
52. Running is simple. Don’t make it complicated.
53. Running is always enjoyable. Sometimes, though, the joy doesn’t come until the end of the run.

I don't really think this one applies to me as I really hate early morning runs, much preferring the evening:

11. Keep in mind that the later in the day it gets, the more likely it is that you won’t run.

And this one went right over my head but I suspect it has something to do with lubricants:

49. Never confuse the Ben-Gay tube with the toothpaste tube.

No comments: