Saturday 5 April 2008

Longish trail run

Route: Aspley Heath forest loop
Terrain: forest trail
Distance: ~16.5 miles
Time: ~02:35
Ascent / descent: +1400' / -1400'
Avg. pace: 09:24

I was absolutely shattered on Friday night after the week at work. Really really tired. My wife kindly took over baby duties so I could sleep and do a run the next day without being totally like a zombie. She is a star.

I woke up not really in the mood for running but after some QOTSA music en route to Aspley Heath I was well rocked up and in the mood. The first few hundred metres felt like I was running with big heavy wooden stumps for legs so the mood went down again. And then back up as I began running the trail and felt like I was flying - that kind of effortless feeling running where you jump, bound and weave without feeling the exertion at all. Then the mood went back down as I hit the first major hill of the route - not a biggy (none are down here) but 35m of stiff up was enough to have me gasping. The rest of the run was like this - real ups and downs, flying sections and head down trudging sections.


http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/367427

The aim was to get a decent run in that still counted as something of a recovery from the climbing and descending strains of the Exe to Axe. I think I managed this - the legs feel exercised but not totally knackered. Looking forward to this week where the plan is:

Monday - speed session (4ish miles)
Tuesday - 8 mile trail run
Wednesday - 7 mile trail run
Thursday - 8 mile tempo run
Saturday - 23 mile trail run
Total mileage projected = 47 miles

With high workload and baby care I can't run many more miles per weekunless I have a race but I reckon this is adequate.

2 comments:

John Kynaston said...

Sorry Brian. I thought I'd added yours already! .... link has now been added. I'll include a picture once I get home!

John

Brian Mc said...

No worries (but thanks) - I was poking in fun, feeling dejected, lonely, unpopular and miserable.

;-)