Saturday 10 May 2008

Hairy ears

This post has little to with running although if the problem I am about to confess continues, then I may suffer a decrease in aerodynamic efficiency and consequently find running much, much tougher, particularly in high winds.

Now I am a grand old 34 years of age. Pretty much a brand new father. I harp on about this a lot but I am pretty chuffed about it so please forgive the repetition. I may be balding, but overall am a generally fairly youthful kind of chap - sort of tanned, sort of honed etc etc (although not quite feeling twenty years younger than my actual age like a certain Mr Murdo McEwan from the WHWR ...(http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/spectrum/Men-4564.4046323.jp). So why, why, why am I being afflicted in the prime of my manhood with increasingly hairier ears?

Sometime over the past 6 months a few longish fair hairs started sprouting vigorously from just inside the little fleshy protuberance that sticks out at the front of your earhole. I plucked the little bastards out. But they keep coming, like a biblical plague. Well actually, that's a lie otherwise I'd look like a yeti. A few seem to sprout every few days, but they are increasing in density and frequency of growth. I had to pluck a further 4 out of my right ear alone before the journey back from Scotland to Milton Keynes today.

I am aware that hairy ears afflict other men, but as early as 34? I dread to think what I might be like by the time I reach 50 ... perhaps I may be supplying the wig industry. Any comments from hairy eared, or baldy eared readers would be most welcomed. Please put my mind at rest about the future.

Oh, yes, to give this a vaguely running subject here are the stats for the 3 recovery runs I've done since the Fling two weeks ago ...

Easy trail run along Loch Venacher
Distance: 8.36 miles
Terrain: forest trail and a little road
Ascent / descent: +618' / -623'
Time: 01:12:56
Splits: 8:44 (avg.), 8:37, 8:48, 9:35, 8:44, 8:30, 8:35, 8:31, 8:27, 3:05 (0.36 miles)

I found this run fine but sweated a lot due to having just come over the bad side of a cold.

Easy hill run up Meikle Bin
Distance: 6.35 miles
Terrain: forest trail and grassy hill
Ascent / descent: +1217' / -1219'
Time: 00:59:46
Splits: 9:25 (avg.), 8:18, 9:30, 12:30, 10:38, 8:01, 8:04, 2:52 (0.35 miles)

Really enjoyed this run on a balmy evening in the Campsie Fells, good quad exercise with great views at the top.

Faster run around Palacerigg Country Park
Distance: 5.71 miles
Terrain: forest and moorland trails
Ascent / descent: + 170' / - 133'
Time: 00:41:55
Splits: 7:21 (avg.), 7:51, 7:13, 7:08, 7:15, 7:34, 4:53 (0.71 miles)

Found running at a faster rate quite tough after the Fling - a fair amount of huffing and puffing was involved but the legs and lungs feel much the better for it.

I plan to go out for a longish run tomorrow (15 miles), then do an offroad hill session on Tuesday and an easy 9 miler on Wednesday before laying off till the 33 mile Marlborough Downs Challenge race on Saturday 17th. It will be my last ultra before the biggy in June and I am really looking forward to it. My aim is to beat my time from last year of 05:21:11.

6 comments:

allybea said...

I'm afraid this is a problem you've created yourself. Ask any woman about plucking eyebrow hairs and they'll tell you the little buggers grow back stronger and thicker than before. Same with shaving yer legs!

Debs M-C said...

I was worried about where that was going there, Allybea ;-)

Subversive Runner said...

It's a problem associated with a lack of hair on yer head I reckon, mate. As the thickness of my thatch diminishes, the preponderance of hair elsewhere increases. My back is a hideous mess of matted fluff (sound attractive, girls??) and my toes??? My daughter's guinea pigs hide in that growth!!!

Brian Mc said...

Yes, I have noticed that hair appears to be more susceptible to the effects of gravity with age - it has slipped off my head, down into my ears, back and chest. My wife, Kirstin, is not impressed.

Dr. Marc and Tanya said...

Brian,
Thanks for stopping by the blog again. I would love to run an ultra in the UK. The site you sent me looks awesome! I have never been to Europe so running a race can make a great reason to come. Tanya and I and a group are running the Grand Canyon this weekend R2R2R.Incredible place. I will blog all about it!!!
Cheers,
MJ

Marco Consani said...

eeek... while reading I thought I had better check too. And there was a hair. oh oh.. luckily its still blonde and not noticeable.

I did laugh at Dave W comment about the thickness of his thatch?!?! Is that really the top of his head he is talking about???