Wednesday 14 May 2008

Weight loss and rampant vegetation

We returned from Scotland to find our front and back gardens transformed into mini-jungles. The roots of one of the small trees, which pokes out at a funny horiztonal angle, were even exposed, the foliage having grown so much it was very very top heavy. The ivy had gone bananas (well not producing yellow bent fruit) and the shrubs were busy ferociously trying to outcompete one another for light and space.

This, combined with my wife having a bit of a funny turn, meant that my planned last 16 mile run before the Marlborough Downs 33 mile race this coming weekend had to be cut down. Sometimes life conspires against training plans, but I've learnt it best not to get stressed. Better to accomodate. So I looked after Eilidh whilst my wife got it together, then hacked back the rampant vegetation then went out for an 8 mile run in the searing heat.

I figured that the run would take me just over an hour, too short for WHWR weight loss measurement according to the race instructions. However I figured I'd see what happened and thought it might be interesting given the very hot (>24C) late afternoon conditions. I drank 300ml of water then weighed myself - 64kg.

The run went well (stats below), with my aim being to keep a moderate pace of always sub-8 mins / mile. When I returned I reweighed myself and found I'd lost 1.6kg! I now weighed 62.4kg. This is 2.5% of body weight so within the 'safe' WHWR range of +/- 4% of body weight. I plan to weigh myself this weekend at the Marlborough Race to see what happens over an ultra distance. I'll do a mass balance and try to estimate intakes as well as the output (sweat mostly, unless I pee).

I also did a 6 mile moderate pace run last night, again in balmy weather (>20C) felt fine but my hams have been tight ever since the Fling. And my right glute has been a bit tender. These are the early symptoms of the source of the injury which put me out of the 07 WHWR, so I saw my physio today. I'll see him every week to make sure I go into the 08 WHWR in as fit a condition as I went into the Fling. Injury and quitting are not an option this year.

Sunday run
Route: Great Brickhill and canal loop
Distance: 8.07 miles
Time: 01:03:06
Splits: 7:41, 7:48, 8:09 (uphill), 7:41, 7:51, 7:47, 7:52, 7:31, 0:30

Tuesday run
Route: Three Locks canal out and back route
Distance: 6.24 miles
Time: 0:48:32
Splits: 7:37, 7:49, 7:52, 7:57, 7:52, 7:39, 1:43

I won't run again until the race on Saturday. Am looking forward to it, there are a few WHWR'ers also running it, including the famous piratical and subversive Mr. Waterman. Aaar, oi'll be seeing you there then me hearty. Aaar.

3 comments:

Subversive Runner said...

Yes, indeedy Brian. I'm a bit concerned that a 6 hour run on Thursday ain't the best pre-race prep for a 33 miler on Saturday, but what the hell. Life's for living, hugh??

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Brian Mc said...

Aaar indeed. Raise the flag and let sail, throw caution and your legs to the wind. Aaar.

Debs M-C said...

Who's Hugh?

I've got this vision of you two skipping about pretending you're pirates.

Have a good one. Looking foward to reading about it.