Friday 30 May 2008

Poor taste jokes about supplements

If you take performance enhancing pharmaceuticals and brand yourself as an ultrarunner, all I have to say is p**s off. It takes a lot of my time and energy to be OK at ultrarunning, time I don't spend with my family, and I have no respect at all for anyone who looks to take a short cut. The whole idea is to push yourself, so why take substances that mean you never end up exploring your own limits!?

Now I understand that there ought to be humour associated with most (all?) things in life but I didn't really get the joke posted recently to a well known UK ultra race forum about wanting to 'be clean' for the race. It was all predicated on the poster assuming that the reader would (a) know who Victor Conte is and (b) link the name Victor to Victor Conte. Rather opaque, a poor attempt at sophistication in humour and not very funny subject matter in the first place. Some people saw through it, others like me, wondered but didn't.

The race director was quite right in expressing extreme annoyance that someone was making a joke about the race and drugs. The joke risks sullying the race and the people who spend an awful lot of their time training very hard, and I, like others, did not appreciate it. Doubly so because the poster was too chicken to post their email or proper name. And they still have not owned up publicly.

Well that was my first ever rant-like post. Almost Waterman-esque. Back to training and beer in the next one.