Monday 19 May 2008

Marlborough Downs Challenge quick race report

I've just read Ian Beattie blogging about how he gets hacked off at a lack of up to date postings on blogs he reads so have been scared into action here! ;-)

I left the house at 6:20am to drive down south of Swindon on Saturday, to the lovely South Downs for the Marlborough Downs 33 mile Challenge. The race forms part of the Vaude Ultra Championships which I am aiming to rate in the top 50% this year (actually I'd like top 25% but have no idea if this is even remotely feasible). The weather was good upon arrival, and stayed good for the whole of the race.

I'll blog fully tomorrow when I have some time and can talk about how I met Shirley Colquhoun, and how the front runners at the start (incl. me) were chased by a herd of stampeding young bulls. Not sure if this sped us up or slowed us down, but certainly it added to the excitement early on.

How did I do?

The results aren't out yet but I reckon I came in with a sub-5 hour time - 04:55! I am really pleased with this. The course is quite fast with only (ha ha he says) 2100' of up and down over the 33 miles, but I am very pleased. This time may have been enough to get me in the top 20, but I'll have to wait and see. I tanked my 05:21 time from last year at any rate.

That was my last ultra race before the biggy in June and will be last >23 mile run too. A few more longish runs then it will be taper time. My how time flies.

2 comments:

Thomas said...

Sub five hours looks like a pretty good result to me. Looking at last years results you finished high up the field I reckon!
Congratulations!

Subversive Runner said...

Come on, Brian. Stop messing around with that Doctoring stuff and type up your full report or WHW Runner will be out to get ya.