Monday 15 December 2008

Normal running resumes and a holiday booked

Whoopeedeedoo, yeehah and other such cowboy like exclamations of joy. Normal running has resumed! Although my ankle is still a little puffy I'll have my last dedicated treatment session on it this Thursday and should be clear by the end of the week. I'll still have some proprioception exercises to do but this will be on-going for some time to ensure I don't tear the ligament again.

Last week I did my first 6 mile road run with Shenley Striders (the club I run with) and then headed out into the woods of Aspley Heath for a wet n muddy trail run on Saturday. 10 miles and 800' of ascent and descent later I write, uninjured and raring to go for the 22 mile training run organised for the 22nd December along the bank of Loch Lomond with Tim, Stan B (not met Stan yet) and a few others I believe. My ankle was fine throughout the trail run despite the often awkard heavy clay mud underfoot and I only felt 1 twinge when I landed a little off balance. Great stuff.

Other news is that we have booked our holiday to Queensland for 2009 to see our family over there. I have a conference in Cairns so it is an opportunity to tie both things together. We got a good deal with Singapore which means we'll be flying the new huuuuge A380-800 between London and Singapore. I am a bit of a nervous flyer anyway so was curious to know how such a beast would cope with landing in cross wind conditions. Quick google search and what do you know, you tube comes up trumps. Check out this video of test landing in Iceland (I think) for how to pilot a plane in extreme cross winds. Then check out the size of the plane next to a standard euro hop Boeing. (!)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdi-hnFrmag
(sorry - the embedding is disabled so I can only provide a link)

Hopefully landing in Singapore won't be as windy.

2 comments:

The Sunday Adventure Club said...

Glad your back running again, will you be doing the Baw Breaker on Sunday?!
Richie

Harvey said...

Do you watch US tv drama
'Lost'? If not, I hear it's great viewing during a flight??!?!?!?!?

Have a great Xmas