Wednesday 22 April 2009

The diagnosis and prognosis

Yes, I'm still sitting here self-absorbed in injury and recovery, but the weather is very nice and I am feeling quite chipper all in all. Off business class to Abu Dhabi in a few weeks to deliver some teaching to the Abu Dhabi water and power company - reclining bed seats and all. Woooo. The teaching day finishes at 2pm strangely enough so I'll have quite a few hours to either UTMB power hike train on a severe incline running machine ala Mister Mason's recommendations, or to find a large skyscraper to run up and down the stairwell of. Maybe the beach for some heat training. Who knows?



Anyway, my physio diagnosed my ankle injury today. Likely that I have given myself a minor tibialis tendon tear (grade 1) and a bit of anterior talofbular ligament damage too. Got good strength and no pain when under load so should recover quite quickly. He didn't want to say much about me doing the 33 Marlborough Downs ultra on 16th May but gave me the OK to run a few miles at the weekend as a tester, then build up sensibly. I'll see what the weekend brings ... :-)

Good luck to all the WHWR Family in, or supporting the Montane Highland Fling this weekend. It should be hoot, and a great race with a few folk trying for PBs (Tom, John K, Neal and I suspect also Marco). All the best all!

5 comments:

John Kynaston said...

Thanks Brian.

Sorry you can't make it but you are right to view the bigger picture.

Recover well and enjoy your trip.

John

Thomas said...

Brian, that does not sound too bad. Good luck with the recovery and good luck with the UTMB preparation.
That race is a beast!

Thomas

Marco Consani said...

Thanks Brian. Sorry to hear that you are not coming up but your injury doesn't sound as bad as you first thought. Good News. Hope you make a speedy recovery.

Marco

PS I am a Fling Virgin so any time is a PB for me.. woohoo..

Anonymous said...

Good news my calf pull is also much improved, cold baths and ice for the first 24 hours followed by self massage and run - walk after 4 days seem to have done the trick.
You can always get the slave class in Abu Dhabi todo the running for you ;¬)
Perhaps I will start my own running blog rather than using yours.

Anonymous said...

Started my own blog
http://slightlypreoccupied.blogspot.com/