Monday 13 April 2009

Final plans for the Fling

It's been a while since I blogged about anything running related, but that's not to say I haven't been doing anything running related. Quite the opposite in fact. :-)

Training wise I finished my last long run before the Fling on Saturday just past (a 19 mile loop out and back from my house taking in canal, forest trail and the streets of Milton Keynes); I have done another few simulate-the-alps-in-rural-Buckinghamshire sessions (now up to 19 continous reps of a 110' ascent off road hill); done quite a few more 6 mile tempo runs with 1 mile warm-up and cool-downs (and am getting quicker - now at 6:40 pace avg); some gym strength training sessions and a 28.6 mile trail run with +/-2400' ascent/descent along the Ridgeway as a sort of Wuthering Hike replacement (I did it in 4:41 with an avg. pace of 9:56, not counting a 10 minute admire the view and eat stop).

I have also competed in the 2009 Exe to Axe 'fell' race from Exmouth to Seaton (21.5 miles, 4100' ascent) along the south coast. I came in 43rd out of 134 with a time of 3:35:01, which is about 13 minutes slower than last year, but boy was it hot and boy did I completely underestimate my water requirements. Race report coming over next few days with some photos hopfeully.

My final bits of training and tapering for the Fling will involve:
  • Monday - speed interval session
  • Tuesday - 10 mile trail run with +/- 1000'
  • Wednesday - 10 mile trail run with +/- 1000'
  • Thursday - 6 mile tempo run with extra 1 mile warm-up and cool-down
  • Friday - rest
  • Saturday - simulate-the-alps-in-rural-Buckinghamshire session (try for 25 up and down reps of 110' ascent off road hill)
  • Sunday - rest
  • Monday - gym strength training
  • Tuesday - 9 mile easy run
  • Wednesday - 6 mile easy trail run with +/- 500'
Not sure I am as fit, fast or strong as last year due to various baby related training difficulties over the past three months (which have been tough I have to say). Am hoping to beat my 2008 Fling time (09:56) but won't be too disappointed if I am outside it. The main (sole?) objective for this year is to complete the UTMB and this a good few months off yet.

It will be good to say hello to the various familiar faces again at the Fling nd do some ultra racing!

6 comments:

Subversive Runner said...

Looking forward to hooking up again mate....you running and me either doing the same (but slower) or marshalling.....in silver sandals and blouse.

Anonymous said...

That is a lot of training. My training consists of 60 - 90 minute runs every other day with a bit of speed work at the end and a week to get over runs like the Exe to Axe. The Fling sounds very Scottish keep you mouth open and improve your performance with all that midge nutrition. I came across a runner with low electrolyte induced cramps on the Exe to Axe ~17 miles, he had a camel back...no succeed caps though. I use CLIP2 also for anything > 150mins.
http://www.succeedscaps.com/main_scaps.html
Low salt diet and never take them on shorter runs.

Brian Mc said...

I use Succeed caps too on runs over 4 hours length, or if they are very hot (probably should have had them on the Exe to Axe!). Thanks for reminding me about them as I need to buy some more. :-)

Vicky said...

Good luck at the Fling. I hope it goes well.

Thomas said...

Brian, looking forward to seeing you again at the Fling!
Your preparation seems to go ok and I am sure you'll have a good race.

Next year I'll do the Wuthering Hike!

Thomas

graeme reid said...

I'll look out for you at the Fling Brian - hope your final few days training go well. I would recommend Bongella - for Eildh, not for you!
Graeme