Monday 20 April 2009

Highland Fling - the decision

I'm going to bail out of the Highland Fling for sure this year. Here's my reasoning ...

According to the anonymous poster who I've enjoyed a bit of exchange with, and who ran the Exe to Axe (what's your name fella?) there are 3 grades of ankle sprain, of increasing severity:

Grade I
  • Mild sprain, mild pain, little swelling, and joint stiffness may be apparent
  • Stretch and/or minor tear of the ligament without laxity (loosening)
  • Usually affects the anterior talofibular ligament
  • Minimum or no loss of function
  • Can return to activity within a few days of the injury (with a brace or taping)
Grade II
  • Moderate to severe pain, swelling, and joint stiffness are present
  • Partial tear of the lateral ligament(s)
  • Moderate loss of function with difficulty on toe raises and walking
  • Takes up to 2-3 months before regaining close to full strength and stability in the joint
Grade III
  • Severe pain may be present initially, followed by little or no pain due to total disruption of the nerve fibers
  • Swelling may be profuse and joint becomes stiff some hours after the injury
  • Complete rupture of the ligaments of the lateral complex (severe laxity)
  • Usually requires some form of immobilization lasting several weeks
  • Complete loss of function (functional disability) and necessity for crutches
  • Usually managed conservatively with rehabilitation exercises, but a small percentage may require surgery
  • Recovery can be as long as 4 months

I don't seem to have any loss of function and have almost no pain in my left ankle sprain now except at the very extreme end of a few very particular movements of my foot, and when I poke at the bruised bits (very tempting). I do have some stiffness, but not too bad. That coupled with the fact I can do toe raises and run 20' without any problem or pain at all makes me think I have either a severe grade I or a mild grade II sprain injury.

I'll see my physio on Wednesday for a proper diagnosis but the swelling, although still clearly present, has been decreasing every day. And, the bruising appears to have reached a maximum with some serious black bruising on the outside edge of my foot, just above the sole and the area around my ankle a sort of greenish bruising colour (mmm nice). Thanks b*****y I don't have a grade III or what I had on my right ankle just before Christmas, a proper grade II.

If I continue healing at this rate I reckon (hope) I should be in a position to do a 6 mile run by the weekend. However I don't have confidence that I haven't weakened some tendons so do not want to risk a further, more serious sprain in the middle of the Fling race, or to test my ankle by subjecting it to 53 miles of pummelling (yet).

Not a comfortable decision to make but I'd far rather be risk averse and back to full training by the weekend after the Fling so I can focus on training for the UTMB. If I complete the Marlborough Downs 33 miler on 16th May, then run the 53 mile Fling route on the weekend of 13th June, then do a 2 day Bobby Gee round on 25th/26th July with Jon Steele and Davie then finish off with the new 31 mile 6800' ascent Dark an White Peak ultra on 8th August before tapering I should be in good shape for the UTMB.

It'll mean I won't be able to complete enough races to qualify for a ranking in the Vasque champs this year but I'm not bothered about that. If can complete the UTMB as my only achievement this year I'll be a very happy man indeed. :-)

7 comments:

Tim said...

Sorry you're not going to make the Fling Brian but you've right to keep your eye on UMTB and not worry about these "fun runs". ;-)

I was thinking of you when I was galloping down Screel hill on Saturday as I wondered about the wisdom of it all. Fortunately I escaped with nearly all my skin and no significant injury.

Davie said...

Brian,
I take it you won't come up to watch?
Please note that as soon as you are able start to do the remedial exercises recommended for pro-prioception asap. It won't matter how much running you do before the UTMB, without applying yourself to these exercises, you will always have a weak ankle and it will turn under evry time you lose your footing. if you don't have a note of the exercises already give me a shout and I'll e-mail them to you.

Davie

Brian Mc said...

Cheers Davie. I've been doing proprioception exercises for a while now (balancing with eyes closed, and wobbleboard). The ankle sprain before Christmas was my right side, which is weak as a result of a ski-ing accident years back. This sprain is my left side, which I've never sprained before. Any more suggestions welcome though. :-)

I'll not be up as I've had swap the weekend away from wife and baby for one in June so I can still get the Fling course done as UTMB training.

Subversive Runner said...

Keep your eye on the big boy, mate. For you UTMB is key this year.

Anonymous said...

What's in a name. Remotely related to the Douglas clan about 6 generations back, so I probably count as a voter according to the SNP as long as I vote the right way;¬). The injuries are part of running for crazy ammounts of time I think, they seem to disappear when not running much so should be a no brainer. Going triathlon or duathlon seems wise, duathlon for me as I prefer recumbent. Have not tried wobble board for ankle injury it seems to be the thing to use though. We both did too much too early my pulse rate is still dropping from the exe to axe. Going for a swim tomorrow.

Vicky said...

Sorry to hear you've had to pull out of the Fling. It sounds from your blog that you have made the right decision.
You still have your main goal for the year ahead of you so that's what you should focus on.
Hope the ankle is fully functional again very soon.

Debs M-C said...

You won't be sorry come Saturday morning :-) Wishing you a speedy recovery.