Friday 17 April 2009

Disaster strikes in Aspley Heath

This week I have felt great - fast and strong with good form. The past month of proper training has paid dividends and my fitness has jumped up, back towards where it should be after a few months of poor training.

So, out I was with a mate doing a final hardish trail run in the rain around Aspley Heath Woods and running well, particularly up hill. We headed at speed down the last downhill, a section with clay mud and tree roots that I have run a million times before in all conditions and I lost my footing and went over on my left ankle. There was a loud pop/crack noise that could have been my ankle or a twig, I don't know. I stopped in sudden agony which then rapidly disappeared. Looking down I could see the swelling was instant and looked a bit like a tendon had snapped and muscle had bundled up on the front, slight outside of my shin, just above the ankle.

I could walk unaided back to the car and use the clutch OK which gave me some hope. I then applied ice when I got home and went to bed early to elevate and rest the injury. This morning the swelling has gone down hugely and I have a compression bandage on. I don't think I've snapped anything but have probably torn some minor muscle above the ankle, I've called my physio nd will get a proper diagnosis asap.

So, disaster for the Fling. It is almost certainly off the cards now. The question is can I recover for the Marlborough Downs Challenge on 16th May? If I have to take 8 weeks off running the UTMB is at risk but if I can get back on my feet in a week or two the UTMB is still on. Ideally what I'll do is run the Marlborough (maybe not that fast) then do the Fling route in June to make up the miles (anyone not doing the WHWR fancy joining me for this, leave a comment).

Fingers crossed and touch wood. What a year I am having so far. No luck at all. Boo hoo.

11 comments:

Thomas said...

O dear!
Brian, I am really sorry to hear about your injury. Maybe there is a chance you still will be there at the Fling?

Good recovery!
CG

Davie said...

Danmn hard luck, Brian. Hope it clears up quickly,but don't take any risks. Your target is the UTMB so anything else is superfluous.
I was looking forward to meeting you next week although I will be starting a bit earlier than you!
Take care

D

Tim said...

What bad luck! Glad to hear you're going to see your physio. I think they get very fed up with doctors who tell people to rest ankle injuries. I think most heal better with graduated exercise.

Fingers crossed for you.

The Sunday Adventure Club said...

Oh no Brian!! I hope you're flyin' again soon, console yourself in style with some curried chips, mate...

Anonymous said...

anon here:
Based on my own experience of grade I and II, you have a grade II.

Cold baths, ice, compression and lots of time. Tried everything doing nothing much for 2 months minimum is the only thing that works. I found cycling helps alot once you can walk without a hobble. Get an indoor adapter, the roads are just not safe. you can buy me a pint while I bore you with my account
of the 3 forts on the May 3 rd when you can walk easily.
Grade I

* Mild sprain, mild pain, little swelling, and joint stiffness may be apparent
* Stretch and/or minor tear of the ligament without laxity (loosening)
* Usually affects the anterior talofibular ligament
* Minimum or no loss of function
* Can return to activity within a few days of the injury (with a brace or taping)

Grade II

* Moderate to severe pain, swelling, and joint stiffness are present
* Partial tear of the lateral ligament(s)
* Moderate loss of function with difficulty on toe raises and walking
* Takes up to 2-3 months before regaining close to full strength and stability in the joint

Grade III

* Severe pain may be present initially, followed by little or no pain due to total disruption of the nerve fibers
* Swelling may be profuse and joint becomes stiff some hours after the injury
* Complete rupture of the ligaments of the lateral complex (severe laxity)
* Usually requires some form of immobilization lasting several weeks
* Complete loss of function (functional disability) and necessity for crutches
* Usually managed conservatively with rehabilitation exercises, but a small percentage may require surgery
* Recovery can be as long as 4 months

Marco Consani said...

Oh no Brian. I am so sorry to hear about your injury. Hopefully you can recover for the Fling but if not remember your main target.
Take care and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Marco

Billy said...

Brian,

Hopefully the swelling going down overnight is a positive sign. Good luck with the recovery.

Subversive Runner said...

Bummer mate!! Come and marshall with me at The Fling!!

Anonymous said...

Schedenfreud for you just slightly pulled my left calf got cold on a long run argh

Brian Mc said...

Cheers all, reckon Fling is definitely off but am hoping to be back with smaller runs next week. Think it looks like a mild form of a grade II sprain, as I can walk and do toe stands with no pain.

Anonymous said...

My injury is an old one, messing around with footwear caused it. Got used to toe running in 5 fingers, which perhaps shortens the calf muscle. Swimming and no more running for a month. We over did after exe to axe me tinks. No hard or long runs for a month is the rule. Fancy some competive laps let me know.