Thursday 27 March 2008

Achilles and beer

I decided last night just to rest my achilles until this weekend's race. The last time I had an achilles problem was due to badly fitting fell shoes in the OMM 2006 and it took a couple of months of treatment to disappear completely. Don't want that again and so, despite feeling like I am a slacker (ah the joys of a calvinist culture guilty conscience) I've opted for doing nowt.

Except having a beer when I come home from work. I work a long day with no lunch break really (pretty much the norm now for lots of people I guess) and when I get home and have finished nappy changing, bathing baby and exercising I really do like a pint. Nothing better than some tasty sausages and mash, putting your feet up and supping some joyous beery beverage.

Drinking ale is quite common amongst folk who like running over hills and through bog and two of my all time favourites are:





Mmmm beery goodness ...

And if ever I am in or near Callander in Scotland I go to the beer shop at this great pub - http://www.theladeinn.com/ They claim to stock nearly every beer from nearly every Scottish microbrewery. I have some way to go to test this claim, but aim to do so. Hic.

5 comments:

Davie Bell said...

The lade Inn aaaaaah! it's like being a kid in a sweet shop Brian, "just give me a fifty quid mixture please"

Brian Mc said...

I know what you mean. And my folks own a caravan about 20 minutes walk from there overlooking Ben Ledi. Heaven!

Debs M-C said...

We're going to the Lade Inn next month, as our club "training" weekend is in Callander. Can't wait.

Good beer thread on the forum by the way. At last, something that's of interest to me.

Good luck for your race.

Say Hi to your gals for me.

Nick Yates said...

Of course, the place to be in the coming weeks for any fans of running and Fuller's London Pride is around the course of the London Marathon on Sunday, April 13.

Or any other ale for that matter. Not only are there pubs lining the course and promising to put on special events on the day, but Fuller's is putting up a couple of 'cheering stations' where the brewer's flagship beer will be poured. So get yourself to the course on April 13!

And check out www.thepublican.com/staffblogs for more info on where to watch the Marathon while experiencing beery goodness!

Brian Mc said...

Good tip there Nick - thanks. I can almost taste the Fullers flowing ... mmm beery goodness ...