Tuesday 25 March 2008

Preparing for the Exe to Axe

The Exe and Axe and Wuthering Hike races are two weeks apart so there's not really enough time to recover, train then taper. I've opted instead to just keep going with moderate distance runs to ensure I recover OK without stretching myself. I figure I'm as fit as I'll be for the Exe to Axe so no point pushing it too far. I am keen to do well in the race which is a good one - 4000' odd of ascent going up and down along the beautiful UNESCO world heritage 'jurassic coast' on England's southern shores.

I did it last year in 03:28:10 (10:24 mins/mile avg pace) and would like to get sub 03:20:00 (10 min/mile avg pace) if at all possible. The climbs are very very tough though - good 500' jaunts of serious incline with no chance of running at all - just hands on thighs pushing away through gasping breaths. Great!

I bashed my achilles in the Wuthering Hike at around mile 28 though - I remeber thinking b****r my achilles is sore. I've not had the physio work at it yet (boy is achilles treatment painful!) so it's been twingeing during my training runs. Not decided whether to just rest until the race on Sunday or to run a bit more or to keep up the aerobic work on my bike. Tending towards the latter.


http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/367435

Anyway, I managed a good hilly mud-fest of a run on Sunday around Aspley Heath Woods after the snowfall, a decent 8 mile road and canal path run on Monday night then an hours session in the gym tonight doing weights. The achilles twinged on Monday and again tonight. Boo.

The stats ...

Sunday
Route: Aspley Heath Woods 10 mile circuit
Distance: 10.03 miles
Terrain: muddy and sandy forest trails
Ascent/descent: +891'/-872'
Time: 01:29:08
Splits: 8:47, 9:27, 8:51, 8:45, 9:06, 9:22, 8:30, 8:32, 8:44, 8:44, 0:16

Monday
Route: Great Brickhill - Grand Union Canal circuit
Distance: 8.04 miles
Terrain: path, road and canal towpath
Ascent/descent: +242'/-221'

Time: 01:04:57
Splits: 7:54, 8:04, 8:26, 8:06, 8:09, 8:12, 7:58, 7:47, 0:16


Tuesday
2 sets 15 reps single leg press (heavy)
3 sets 15 reps single leg press (medium) w/ 2 sets 10 reps wide arm pull-ups
3 sets 15 reps single leg raise
3 sets 15 reps seated calf push w/ 2 sets 15 reps seated rows
3 sets 15 reps single leg riase w/ 1 set 10 rep dips + 1 set 15 reps tricep push downs
3 sets 15 reps seated calf raise w/ 2 sets hammer curls
Stomach and back workout

4 comments:

Subversive Runner said...

That don't look like no Milton Keynes I've ever seen, mate. No roundabouts and concrete cows in that pic!
Anyway, my buddy has just applied for a job at Cranleigh airport, as a firefighter. I've instructed him to release no bad stuff about me should he bump into Doc McIntosh!

Davie Bell said...

Good luck with the Exe to Axe Brian ,there must be something in the air, I've been getting achilles trouble of late, I seem to get it when I increase my mileage.

Brian Mc said...

Cranleigh or Cranfield? Cranfield University is where I work - it has its own airfield (used to be an air base in WWII) and its own firefighting team. As staff we get training and even get to go in the fire engine. This is quite exciting for an academic. There's flashing lights and all sorts of stuff. :-)

Subversive Runner said...

Sorry mate, yeah I meant Cranfield. He lives in Clapham in Beds so it's a lot closer to home than Battersea.