Saturday 1 March 2008

Tempo run round Furzton Lake

Route: Furzton Lake circuit
Distance: 8 miles
Terrain: path
Ascent: ~100'
Total time: 00:59:16
Garmin splits: 8:05 (warm-up), 6:47, 6:53, 6:50, 6:54, 6:54, 6:51, 9:57 (cool-down)

Did my last training run before the half at the weekend round one of MK's many lakes yesterday. It was bloomin' windy but my challenge was to run consistently at sub 7 min/mile pace for the 6 tempo pace miles I run during these runs, and as close to my target pace for Sunday of 6:50 min/mile. Prior to the run I'd never managed to sustain this kind of pace so woohoo was I very pleased to see the split times.


http://www.mkparks.co.uk/parks-trust/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=33098

I felt very strong for the first few tempo pace miles but found miles 4 and 5 pretty difficult then mile 6 easier. This probably indicates the difficulty was more psychological than anything - you know that kind of groan I've still got half-way to go kind of thought that can sometimes creep in and slow you down.

So I'm feeling pretty gee'd up for the half and think I'm in with a reasonable shot at sub 1:30 (touch wood). Weather should be OK - forecast for 10C max daytime temp, 16 mph winds and some sunshine. My biggest challenge will not be finishing off the bottle of italian red that I started last night after the run.

More info on the MK half can be found here if anyone fancies a last minute entry:
http://www.mkhalf.co.uk/

No comments: