Sunday 17 February 2008

Bekele's 2 mile record at Birmingham

Kirstin (wife), Eilidh (daughter) and myself caught the train up to Birmingham yesterday to see the Norwich Union Grand Prix, and in particular to see Bekele's attempt on the world 2 mile record. It was Eilidh's first time on the train and she slept through the whole thing on the way there. She was pretty freaked out though by the noise in the stadium so Kirstin and I had to take turns looking after her outside. She calmed down though and we both got to watch Bekele's attempt.



He was obviously giving it quite some effort but boy does he make it look easy. Such good form at pace - very relaxed and fluid. His attempt was successful and he stole the record from Gebreselassie by 0.34 seconds. I find these guys really pretty amazing. Here's me puffing away to get a consistent half marathon pace of 6:52 and he runs 2 miles without much sweat at just over 4 miles per minute pace. If only!

Eilidh kicked off big style on the way back so by the time we got her calmed down I was much in the mood for beer and my wife in the mood for chocolate.

2 comments:

Marco Consani said...

Just think. If he could keep that pace of 4 miles per minute he could run the WHW in 24 mins.

I hate when people pick up on my typos too Brian ;-) hee hee.

Marco

Brian Mc said...

I keep getting my miles and minutes confused. Doh.

How many PhDs does it take to change a lightbulb? Clearly if they are all clones of me then loads!