Monday 4 February 2008

Mickleden Straddle fell race

Distance: 14 miles
Terrain: rocky and grassy trails; rough moorland
Ascent: 2000'
Time: 02:17:32 (previous best 02:21:24)
Position: 46/138


You can't help but think you've gauged the climate wrong when you look around the runners at the start line and can only see 5 other folk wearing shorts.

I got up at 6am yesterday and drove the 2 hours north to Langsett, just outside Sheffield, feeling the wind buffet the car on the motorway. I ran this race last year and suffered badly apres race with dehydration and fatigue so was expecting a tough one, potentially made tougher by the very high winds in the valley. I wondered what it would be like up top where I could make out snow lying in patches. Very windy was the answer!

Photo of part of main climb (Mickleden Edge) - http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/393464

I started off at an easier pace than last year. The race runs along 1 mile then goes up for an unremitting 300m or so. However, what should have been awkwardly rocky fell track had turned into a semi-frozen slushy stream with deep pools of mud draining the snow melt from the hills, so within 10 minutes I couldn't feel my feet. Feeling did return for a brief 20 minute slot mid race and for the last 20 minutes but other than that I couldn't distinguish toes from feet and they felt just like big blocks. It mucks about with your balance not being able to feel your toes when you are running like a loon over boulders, mud and through slushy puddles!

The ascent didn't kill me this time and I made decent progress on the grassy descent to Howden Reservoir where the lakeside trail gradually ascends in the midst of beautiful Dark Peak scenery. I chatted away to a couple of folk on this stretch which is the easiest lung and quad wise before heading back up Howden Clough for an unremitting 300m climb over tussocky grass, heather moorland and bog. I felt strong climbing and took a couple of folk on this stretch.

Photo down Cranberry Clough towards Howden Reservoir - http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/424377

The rough moorland of Upper Hey at the top of Howden Clough on the return ascent - http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/265489

I grabbed some chocolate from the frozen race marshals at the top before running back down the semi-frozen stream. A few runners took me and I kept one at bay until almost the bottom - this kind of pressure is good as it makes you leap, bound and run much faster although it took some concentration not to trip up. I kept running constantly at the bottom of the hill as the course went through the forest on the last mile and gradually caught 1, 2 then 3 of the runners who had passed me on the way down. Their quads were shot I reckon. I upped the pace and gained on two more runners in front of me who I managed to take in a sprint for the last 200m.

I improved my time by just under 4 minutes from last year so one of my 2008 goals achieved already. Hoorah!

The drive back down to Milton Keynes was awful though - aching quads, hams and achilles from fast descending ...

What worked and what do I need to improve?

I started off deliberately slower than last year and kept up a more even pace throughout. Last year I went too fast at the start and died a death on the last 300m descent. It felt a little odd not going faster at the start but the strategy clearly worked. I think I am also just stronger and fitter generally than last year with another year of running under my belt.

To improve? I'll need to move nearer some hills I reckon!

2 comments:

Marco Consani said...

Well done Brian. Reaching one of your 2008 goals already. Keep up the good work. See you at Wuthering.

Marco

Brian Mc said...

Cheers Marco. See you there!