Friday 1 February 2008

A weak right leg

Saw the physio yesterday about my shin niggle and my longer term right hamstring and glute problems. It is difficult to separate out whether my problems are a consequence of having a weaker ham and glute on that side or vice versa. Anyhoo he reckons I'm more injury prone on that side because of the weakness so I need to strengthen it.

I'm reluctant to add in more gym sessions and take away running sessions from my training plan so he showed me a floor based exercise for ham and glute strengthening. I'll do it every 2nd day for a while and see if it works. Feeling quite positive about the prospects though.

Also tried to convince my wife that I (er we) really need to buy a Garmin Forerunner. I've sown the seeds of interest I think, and am hoping for a positive response over the weekend ...

But first I have the Mickleden Straddle fell race on Sunday up in the Dark Peak. I am looking forward to it but with some trepidation. It is 14 miles with 2000' of ascent and essentially involves running up 1000' then down 1000', along a bit, then up 1000' again and down 1000' again. It took me 02:21:24 last year and I was just outside the top 50% so it's a tough race - fast despite the climbing. Forecast is for heavy snowfall this weekend so the race will be fun!

No comments: