Tuesday 26 February 2008

Long run along Ridgeway national trail

Route: Pitstone Hill to Coombe Hill and back
Terrain: trail and a few sections on road
Distance: 22.79 miles
Ascent: 1786'
Descent: 1803'
Total time: 03:30:24
Pace: 9:14 (avg), 8:35 (fastest), 10:39 (slowest)


Went out for a long (23 mile) training run on Sunday covering the same Pitstone Hill to Coombe Hill and back again route that I did last week. The time was slightly quicker (03:30) but improving time wasn't the aim - just getting the miles in the legs. The route is described in a previous posting so I won't repeat here and you can read about the national trail I follow here - http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/ridgeway/index.asp

I had a sore throat which I think I caught from my baby daughter Eilidh so wasn't sure about running but did it anyway. The first few sweaty miles confirmed the presence of a cold but writing this blog a few days afterwards I've not got worse so the gamble paid off. Phweft. Sometimes you can end up with a real stonker of a cold if you train at the wrong time in the spread of the virus.

On the way back I met a friendly looking Staffy terrier which I said hello to. The owner, a lanky looking old fella, asked how far I was going and as we started to converse it became apparent he was an ex-ultra distance runner / walker - a member of the LDWA. We exchanged a few tales and he gave me some useful tips on downhill running technique. I'm often overtaken going down despite being pretty strong going up so was glad to receive the advice. I tried the technique out on the last sections of run and it appeared to work - basically lean into the descent and sort of fall with your feet pointing slightly out as this prevents you from braking!

3 comments:

Thomas said...

Brian,
I have to try that downhill technique myself. It sounds like a good idea.

Debs M-C said...

Hey Brian,
Hope the family's better today?

I did a wee bit of research into uphill and downhill running. I posted this on my blog in Dec 07.

Running uphill: Increase forward lean (but not from the waist). Shorten stride. Increase arm, foot and knee drive. Switch to ball-heel foot action. Maintain breathing. By shortening stride and maintaining strike rate, it should be easier to keep moving at pace when you've reached the crest. Since the rate is there, you only have to extend stride length to regain speed.

Running downhill: Take the breaks off and roll. Lean forward from the pelvis. "develop a feel for downhill running so you flow smoothly with the hill like a mountain stream". The key is quicker turnover. Decrease stride at the start of hill. On steep declines, land on the ball of your foot. Push off from the heel. Strike lightly. Arms not needed for power - just balance. Stay relaxed.

The main aim is to try and keep a consistent strike rate - regardless of the gradient.

Hope it helps.

Brian Mc said...

Cheers Debbie. Running uphill has never been a problem - I even enjoy it better than running on the flat. I am just a bit slower than other folk when going down so my technique needs to improve. I'll try the tips you've sent and if you see me in plaster at Wutherng Hike you'll know they worked too successfully!

Family health improving (touch wood).