Sunday 17 February 2008

Long run along Ridgeway

Route: Pitstone Hill to Coombe Hill and back
Terrain: trail and a few sections on road
Distance: 22.74 miles
Ascent: 1788'
Descent: 1814'
Total time: 03:31:57
Pace: 9:19 (avg), 8:31 (fastest), 10:24 (slowest)

It was -3 C outside with bright blue skies and wall to wall sunshine for my long run today. Marvellous. Solid frozen ground with sun that feels like summer, a great combination.

I ran one of my out and back routes along the Ridgeway national trail. It is an 87 mile trail that runs from the Chilterns to rolling countryside SW of the Thames in Wiltshire (http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/ridgeway/index.asp). There is an ultra organised by the TRA along it every August bank holiday weekend - a local long ultra - really must enter it!

I started at Pitstone Hill at the eastern end of the Ridgeway and ran to Coombe Hill, just west of the lovely town of Wendover and overlooking the Prime Minister's country retreat of Chequers.

Pitstone Hill:


Coombe Hill (looking north):


I felt strong as I started and this continued througout the run. There are a fair number of sharp climbs which caused my pace to vary but I looked to maintain an average pace between 9 and 9:30 mins per mile. I figure if I am used to this pace then dropping to 10 or 11 in the WHWR will seem easier. I managed the whole run on only 1 litre of water, carried in 2 x 500ml bottles on the hio belt and didn't feel at all dehydrated which could have been because of the cold.

2 comments:

Phil Robertson said...

Hi Brian

Well done on this run - sounds like the training is going well. Sorry not to get back to you re Draycote sooner. Ended up not making it due to timing getting back from Scotland. Will try to enter Wuthering Hike instead - did you get an entry form anywhere?

If you are based in Milton Keynes, maybe we could do some training together for a weekend or two? My brother in law is in Rugby. Let me know if you're keen.

PS The mountain photo was taken at the bottom of Stob Ban. We walked along the WHW from Kinlochleven and climbed up a burn. Camped by the little lochan near to Stob Ban. A truly great trip!

Brian Mc said...

Hi Phil - hooking up for a training run or two would be great. I'll contact you off blog to organise.

Your hiking / camping trip looks great. Very jealous. :-)