Friday 29 February 2008

Strategy for half marathon

Beware David (Waterman) I am about to engage in race-based navel gazing .. avert your eyes now ...

I would like to get sub 1:30 this weekend during the MK half (one of my goals for the year) so am figuring out my strategy. It'll involve a beer on the pre-race night as normal but mainly it'll involve me trying to maintain a steady 6:50 min /mile pace throughout. This should get me in within 1:29:30. I figure steady pace is the best strategy rather than starting slow and getting quicker or something like that.

What kind of strategy do other folk approach half marathons with? How did other folk manage to get their first sub 1:30 time? (probably by not having a beer the night before the race but I don't want to hear that).

4 comments:

Subversive Runner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Subversive Runner said...

Good luck in the halfie Brian.

Dave

Harvey said...

Good luck Brian! I'll be attempting the same task in Liverpool on Sunday!
My plan? go for it and see what happens! That way I might even be quicker... if I'm slower, I'll say it was windy or I tripped or something;-)
Enjoyment is the main factor... watch out for those roundabouts in MK though... must be about 6 per mile!?!?!?!

Brian Mc said...

Yep, the roundabouts are a bit of a pain in MK, you end up wearing down your shoes on one side. :-)

Good luck with it Neal!

And cheers Dave (you secret blog lover you).